The Supremacy of Christ

He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation. For by Him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities--all things were created through Him and for Him. And He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together. And He is the head of the body, the church. He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in everything He might be preeminent. For in Him all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell, and through Him to reconcile to Himself all things, whether on earth or in heaven, making peace by the blood of His cross.
(Colossians 1:15-20 ESV)

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Clarification

Looking back at my previous posts, I've spent quite a significant amount of time speaking on the sinful depraved nature of man. I talked about the condition of our wicked nation and the corruption of churches. While I still believe this is all true, I also believe there is still goodness and hope in the midst of all this madness. Some people look and listen to people like me and they are turned off because it seems as if I am spewing brimstone, fire, and judgment. I read somewhere that good intentions can sometimes produce bad results, so I am constantly learning to love as God calls us to love. I am aware that Jesus did not come to condemn, that we already stand condemned, and that we are to do the same, to give others the message of hope and salvation. That is my primary goal and prayer of my heart. I want others to taste the goodness of God and to walk in glorious Light. We love, by serving, by caring for others, by praying for people. We can always be a bit less selfish and a bit more selfless.

Reflecting on Rob Bell's bullhorn guy... perhaps a bullhorn is not the best way to tell people that they already stand condemned. Rob Bell sees that even with good intentions, that method simply does not get through to people. Perhaps he is right. We do need to tell people the truth, that there is a heaven and hell, that we have eternal destinies, that we must give an account to God at the end of our lives, that God desires for us to walk in humility, repenting of our sins. Father, show us how we can do this to bring glory to You. AMEN.

No comments: