The Supremacy of Christ

He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation. For by Him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities--all things were created through Him and for Him. And He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together. And He is the head of the body, the church. He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in everything He might be preeminent. For in Him all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell, and through Him to reconcile to Himself all things, whether on earth or in heaven, making peace by the blood of His cross.
(Colossians 1:15-20 ESV)

Monday, July 7, 2008

Sequoia

July 5, 2008

Crystal Cave - We stopped in a huge magnificent underground room, the largest in all of Sequoia National Park, where the tour guide turned off all the lights for what seemed to be about five minutes. It was absolute darkness, with not a trace of light anywhere. The guide hushed the group to a complete silence, and the only sound that was heard was the dripping of water from the cave ceiling. Sadness overcame me because I could not enjoy anything. There was no light. This is darkness and life apart from God.


I tell you, many will come from east and west and recline at table with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob in the kingdom of heaven, while the sons of the kingdom will be thrown into the outer darkness. In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth."
(Matthew 8:11-12 ESV)

also in the parable of the wedding feast and of the talents:

Then the king said to the attendants, 'Bind him hand and foot and cast him into the outer darkness. In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.' For many are called, but few are chosen."

And cast the worthless servant into the outer darkness. In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.'

Matthew 22:1-14
Matthew 25:14-30



General Sherman Tree - This is the largest tree in the world. As I approached this natural wonder, I stood in awe of its size. Everyone looked like little ants. There must have been hundreds of cameras snapping photos of this wonder.

How prone we are to worship creation instead of the creator. I can only imagine what the people at the Tower of Babel thought as they attempted to usurp God's glory and His righteousness by making a name for themselves and worshiping the works of their hands. We are all capable of forgetting to give credit due God's name. How we are all easily deceived without the Spirit leading us to Him.

Lunch - I stopped at Lodgepole Village for lunch. I bought a hamburger with fries and took my food outside. Flies started to swarm my food. These were not regular houseflies but wild ones. I swatted the flies with my hands but they didn't get the message, and kept coming back. If I relaxed one moment, looking at the nature that surrounds me, the flies would take advantage and come really close to the food. I've wondered why Satan is called Baal-zebub, meaning the lord of the flies. I think I have a better understanding now. Satan is not domesticated. He's wild and runs loose, looking for every opportunity to contaminate the good work that God has begun in His children. Thank God that out of His mercy and grace, saves us and restrains evil. How much more do we need to be aware of the plans of the enemy and keep watch and stay alert.

After lunch, I drove to Grant Grove, home of the third largest tree in the world, the General Grant Tree. This is where I walked on a side path and asked God why the journey to Sequoia National Park. I wanted to spend quiet moments with Him. I've contemplated running away into the mountains before, completely separated from the world, a world filled with evil and with people who reject and hate God. This is one of the reasons I ventured here. This is the reason I wanted to hear from God. What could the God who created such beauty and the God who allows the world to turn everyday and allow goodness to fall upon everyone want from me? The response was simple. "Be with My people, and love them." Despite the suffering, pain, irritation, misunderstandings, wrongdoings, I want you to be with the people and love them. Isn't this what Jesus did when he walked on this earth? I left the mountain at peace, knowing that I don't belong there. Coming down the mountain I sing, Lead on Lord Jesus, lead on.


No comments: