The Supremacy of Christ

He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation. For by Him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities--all things were created through Him and for Him. And He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together. And He is the head of the body, the church. He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in everything He might be preeminent. For in Him all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell, and through Him to reconcile to Himself all things, whether on earth or in heaven, making peace by the blood of His cross.
(Colossians 1:15-20 ESV)

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

The Promise-Keeping God

The LORD will fulfill his purpose for me; your steadfast love, O LORD, endures forever.
(Psalm 138:8)

I believe the happiest and truest of Christians are those who never dare to doubt God, but who take His Word simply as it stands, and believe it, and ask no questions, just feeling assured that if God has said it, it will be so.

I bear my willing testimony that I have no reason, nor even the shadow of a reason, to doubt my Lord, and I challenge heaven and earth and hell to bring any proof that God is untrue. From the depths of hell I call the fiends, and from this earth I call the tried and afflicted believers, and to heaven I appeal, and challenge the long experience of the blood-washed host -- and there is not to be found in the three realms a single person who can bear witness to one fact which can disprove the faithfulness of God or weaken His claim to be trusted by His servants. There are many things that may or may not happen, but this I know shall happen --

He shall present my soul,
Unblemish'd and complete,
Before the glory of His face,
With joys divinely great.

All the purposes of man have been defeated, but not the purposes of God. The promises of man may be broken -- many of them are made to be broken -- but the promises of God shall all be fulfilled. He is a promise-maker, but He never was a promise-breaker. He is a promise-keeping God, and every one of His people shall prove it to be so. This is my grateful, personal confidence, "The LORD will fulfill his purpose for me" -- unworthy me, lost and ruined me. He will yet save me; and --

I , among the blood-wash'd throng,
Shall wave the palm,
and wear the crown,
And shout the loud victory.

-- Charles Haddon Spurgeon

No comments: