The Supremacy of Christ

He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation. For by Him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities--all things were created through Him and for Him. And He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together. And He is the head of the body, the church. He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in everything He might be preeminent. For in Him all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell, and through Him to reconcile to Himself all things, whether on earth or in heaven, making peace by the blood of His cross.
(Colossians 1:15-20 ESV)

Thursday, April 9, 2009

All is Vanity, Except...

Vanity of vanities, all is vanity! I have seen everything that is done under the sun, and behold, all is vanity and a striving after the wind. I said in my heart, "Come now, I will test you with pleasure; enjoy yourself." But behold, this also was vanity. Then I considered all that my hands had done and the toil I had expended in doing it, and behold, all was vanity and a striving after wind, and there was nothing to be gained under the sun. Then I said in my heart, "What happens to the fool will happen to me also. Why then have I been so very wise?" And I said in my heart that this also is vanity. For what happens to the children of man and what happens to the beasts is the same; as one dies, so dies the other. They all have the same breath, and man has no advantage over the beasts, for all is vanity. Then I saw that all toil and all skill in work come from a man's envy of his neighbor. This also is vanity and a striving after wind. Again, I saw vanity under the sun: one person who has no other, either son or brother, yet there is no end to all his toil, and his eyes are never satisfied with riches, so that he never asks, "For whom am I toiling and depriving myself of pleasure?" This also is vanity and an unhappy business.
--excerpts from Ecclesiastes

The Preacher, who wrote many proverbs, words of wisdom, words of knowledge, words of delight, words of truth, makes this final observation and conclusion. All is vanity, except for this one thing:

The end of the matter; all has been heard. Fear God and keep His commandments, for this is the whole duty of man. For God will bring every deed into judgment, with every secret thing, whether good or evil.

Many people passed away unexpectedly for reasons that I don't understand. Only God knows. I just read an article this morning about the 22-year old Angels rookie pitcher who earned a spot on the starting rotation this year. He threw six scoreless innings Wednesday evening, left the stadium in a sports car with two other people, and was hit when a minivan ran a red light. The Angel pitcher died after undergoing surgery. We all have plans for our lives. Some of us live for fame. Some live for wealth and prosperity. Some live for sensual pleasures. Others may live for more noble things, like supporting a family and uniting the world. Although God allows us to enjoy all these things, they also prove to be vanity. They lack substance and worth in themselves. The Preacher is right. All is vanity, except for one thing. Fear God and keep His commandments. The Lord is our substance and infinite worth.

No comments: