The Supremacy of Christ

He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation. For by Him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities--all things were created through Him and for Him. And He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together. And He is the head of the body, the church. He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in everything He might be preeminent. For in Him all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell, and through Him to reconcile to Himself all things, whether on earth or in heaven, making peace by the blood of His cross.
(Colossians 1:15-20 ESV)

Thursday, April 9, 2009

Not Dead, But Alive

Driving back home on Euclid Street from Thursday Night Bible Study, I swerved violently to the left when a cat darted onto the street from the dark sidewalk. It seemed to have disappeared underneath my car. I glanced in my rear view mirror and saw that the cat was still alive. I must have missed it by inches. As my heart was pounding loudly, my mind flashed back about 10 years to a similar situation on the same road,

except that time, I hit the cat without remorse, not bothering to slow down or swerve to the side. I saw the cat darting out onto the street and I knew I was going to hit if I didn't slow down. I thought, "Stupid cat. You're gonna get what you deserve by running onto my street."

Flash forward to tonight. The Lord spoke to me saying, "You showed mercy and compassion tonight and you did so because I have first shown mercy and compassion toward you. You see, you were like that cat, foolishly running into danger, blind and without a Savior. I could have run you over with my anger and wrath, for all things belong to me. Instead, I sent my Son to absorb my wrath, in order that you may live."

My car didn't flip over, and I didn't die in order to save that cat. But my Savior died that I might have eternal life. Oh how I should imitate Him and do for others what He did for me, giving Him all the praise and all the glory for all that He has done! Sing praises to Him for He is worthy to be praised!

I stand amazed in the presence
Of Jesus the Nazarene
And I wonder how He could love me,
A sinner condemned, unclean.

Chorus:
How marvelous, how wonderful
And my song shall ever be.
How marvelous, how wonderful
Is my Savior's love for me.

For me it was in the garden He prayed,
"Not my will, but thine"
He had no tears for His own griefs,
But sweat drops of blood for mine.

He took my sins and my sorrows,
He made them His very own;
He bore the burden to Calv'ry,
And suffered and died alone.

When with the ransomed in glory
His face I at last shall see,
'Twill be my joy thro' the ages,
To sing of His love for me.

No comments: